Friday, February 19, 2021

Love in English by Marie E. Andreu

LOVE IN ENGLISH by Maria E. Andreu is a young adult novel which I am very happy to recommend for a number of reasons: plot, character development, and extremely clever use of language. The story centers around high school student Ana, a recent immigrant to the States who is trying to fit in. An English Language Learner, Ana is torn between her attraction to popular musician and fellow math student Harrison and to Neo, another recent immigrant who becomes a true friend. Ana speaks Spanish; Neo comes from Greece so they use halting English and translating apps to understand each other, eventually bonding over American films like The Breakfast Club. Andreu effectively conveys the confusion and frustration which Ana and her peers face by inserting #### amidst the dialogue when a teacher or other student speaks. The characters are appealing, especially Ana who is a skilled poet:

… Everything is a riddle.
Content: the stuff that fills my ESL notebook. The things I write.
Content: how I want to feel here.
Close: what my father wants me to do. Close the door on everything that came before. Close: how I want to feel. To someone.
I want a piece of peace A week without feeling weak A scene I’ve seen before.
I want to be whole, complete, unabridged, intact.

LOVE IN ENGLISH received a well-deserved starred review from School Library Journal. It’s an amazingly empathetic (Andreu herself is an immigrant) glimpse at fitting into a new culture: “putting down a life to pick up another one is hard, a swirl of regret and excitement and what-could-have-beens and what-will-bes” while also reminding readers that “the stories we tell ourselves make us who we are.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Continuing the Conversation!

We are in the midst of migrating book reviews to this new blog.  To see past reveiws and comments, please visit Book Talk ... A Conversation...