Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Blossom and The Firefly by Sherri L. Smith


THE BLOSSOM AND THE FIREFLY is a recent work of historical fiction by Sherri L. Smith (Flygirl). Set in Japan during WWII, the story shifts in perspective between Hana, a young girl helping to do laundry and cheering on the soldiers, and Taro who is training to become a kamikaze pilot. As she shares the feelings and musings of these two young people, Smith’s writing is beautiful, almost poetic, deftly describing the hardships of war: “And then we hear the rumble of the truck. And our workday begins. The brakes argue with the road as the truck stops in front of my class.” She also emphasizes the joy of music and bittersweet nature of young love: “He drops into a bow. I do the same, my hair brushing the top of his flight cap. I clasp my hands to my stomach to keep from reaching for him. To keep my heart from falling out.” The plot itself is a bit slow and melancholy, although Smith briefly describes a battle and creatively conveys the need for courage, as with this poem:  
See the dragonfly
His wings cannot go backwards
Is this bravery?
Now I am a dragonfly
I will be brave for Japan
Numerous historic details and facts about Japanese culture are woven into the text. In her author’s note Smith explains that many of the girls’ experiences in the book are inspired by a school diary kept by Maeda Shoko; that made me reflect on the value of our students keeping diaries and recording their feelings during the COVID-19 pandemic. THE BLOSSOM AND THE FIREFLY will appeal to middle school and early high school readers; it received a starred review from School Library Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Continuing the Conversation!

We are in the midst of migrating book reviews to this new blog.  To see past reveiws and comments, please visit Book Talk ... A Conversation...