Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Receipts from the Bookshop by Katie Clapham

RECEIPTS FROM THE BOOKSHOP by Katie Clapham is a very clever account of “A Bookseller's Year in an English Seaside Town.” The author, Katie Clapham, and her mother (known as Business Mum or BM in the text) run a bookshop in a small town and Clapham takes great joy in entertaining her readers with accounts of her days. Each chapter covers roughly a month and there are always interesting customers, hunts for titles, and sales (or lack thereof), plus a truly amusing set of anecdotes about the passers-by and their comments on the bookshop. At first, the pace may seem overly slow, but this tale of titles and patrons quickly turns charming. Clapham writes with emotion about book buying: “A book is a beautiful present for almost any person in your life because it is a promise of an experience. It says: I want you to have this thing. I want you to have the time to enjoy it. I want you to be happy.” Or about children’s books: “Books always make great gifts, but I think there's something deeply special about gifting someone a few moments to be young again.” My favorite turn of phrase though, has to do with the English weather: “I guess the rain is due soon because someone is definitely playing with the dimmer switch in the sky.” Avid readers will enjoy RECEIPTS FROM THE BOOKSHOP and will likely find titles to add to their own to-be-read lists. To get a sense of Katie Clapham’s writing style and the ebb and flow of her days, visit her Substack and then be sure to visit your own local book store, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Continuing the Conversation!

We are in the midst of migrating book reviews to this new blog.  To see past reveiws and comments, please visit Book Talk ... A Conversation...